SMART Recovery Program at Banyan Treatment Centers
At Banyan Treatment Centers, our staff of experts has a wide variety of therapeutic skills, including training in SMART Recovery. SMART Recovery (Self-Management and Recovery Training) is one of the most effective drug addiction treatment methods that teaches individuals techniques that can help them in their recovery process. At our rehab center in Pompano Beach, we use a SMART four-point program that encourages inner change.
These four points are:
- Building and maintaining motivation
- Coping with urges
- Managing thoughts, feelings, and behaviors
- Living a balanced life
The SMART Recovery approach to addiction teaches the individual self-empowerment and self-reliance. No one can recover for you, so it’s important to gain the skills and strength you need for your recovery and lasting sobriety. You are also responsible for your own actions, and this program teaches you to be accountable for managing your thoughts and behaviors during recovery. No one is immune to relapse, and it’s important to learn new ways to prevent it from happening. The SMART method uses a range of techniques like cognitive behavioral therapy and motivational enhancement therapies to teach these skills. This program, alongside one of our other unique programs and therapies, can help you or someone you know successfully recover from addiction.
Stages of the SMART Recovery Method
Our SMART Recovery Program recognizes that patients may be in different stages of recovery that require different stages of help.
The stages of SMART Recovery are:
- Precontemplation – At this stage, the individual may be unaware of their problem.
- Contemplation – The participant evaluates the advantages and disadvantages of addiction by creating a cost/benefit analysis.
- Determination/Preparation – The participant decides to pursue personal changes and may complete a Change Plan Worksheet.
- Action – The participant seeks out new ways of managing their addiction behavior. This can include self-help, the support of help groups, or professional guidance.
- Maintenance – After a few months, the participant’s behavior has changed, and they now seek to maintain their achievements.
- Graduation/Exit – Once a participant has sustained a long period of change, they may choose to move on with their lives and “graduate” from the SMART Recovery Program.
- Side event: Relapse – Although they’re not inevitable, relapses are a normal part of the change participants undergo and if handled well, can serve as a learning experience in the recovery process.
The SMART Recovery Program at Banyan in Pompano Beach can be an effective form of addiction treatment in your recovery. Our SMART Recovery approach is one of our various levels of care that can ensure that you’re learning all of the necessary skills needed to achieve long-term sobriety. If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, we are here to help you regain control of your life. Contact us today to find out more about our programs and services.