Join Banyan's 30-Day Quit Smoking Challenge
Recovery is all about learning how to live without unhealthy substances that are detrimental to our mental and physical wellbeing. Why not conquer all bad habits at once? Our 30-day Quit Smoking Initiative aims to help you do just that. We encourage our patients to become the best version of themselves, and part of that is embracing a healthy lifestyle.
Benefits of Quitting Cigarettes
When a person quits smoking, the positive health benefits are felt throughout the body. Some of these healthy rewards include:
- Healthier heart - Decreased risk of heart attacks and heart disease, lower blood pressure, and normalization of heart rate.
- Decreased cholesterol - Fats and cholesterol circulating in the blood stream will decrease, which helps to slow the buildup of arterial fatty deposits.
- Lowered risk of blood clots - Blood becomes thinner and less likely to form dangerous clots that could result in DVT or pulmonary embolism.
- Halt lung damage - Scarred lung tissue is not reversible, however, within just a couple of weeks of quitting smoking you will likely notice a decrease in shortness of breath and increase in exercise tolerance.
- Regrowth of lung cilia - Cilia, hair-like projections of lung tissue that help clear mucus, debris, and microbes out of the lungs regenerate quickly when one stops smoking.
- Decreased risk of cancer - Stopping cigarette smoking prevents future damage to DNA and may even help repair damage done by years of smoking.
- Normalization of estrogen levels in women - After a woman quits smoking, estrogen levels gradually normalize and may improve chances of a healthy pregnancy.
- Decreased chance of erectile dysfunction in men - Improved blood circulation from quitting smoking can have benefits for those who experience erectile dysfunction.
- Stronger muscles and bones - The increase of available oxygen to the tissues strengthens muscles and bones while improving the ability to heal wounds.
- Improved immune system function - After a person quits smoking, white blood cell counts return to normal to help fight infection and disease.
- Better sensory function - Those who quit smoking often experience improvements in hearing, vision, and even taste.
- Better oral health and breath - Teeth will become whiter and bad breath will improve after just a few days of quitting smoking.
- Healthier skin - As the body clears out toxins and blood circulation improves after one quits smoking, blemishes and signs of premature aging fade for a healthier complexion.
Is it Good to Quit Smoking in Recovery?
Knowing that no substance controls you is a freedom like none other! At Banyan, our drug and alcohol treatment programs are specifically designed to help patients develop the healthy mindset necessary to embrace healthful habits and eliminate those that are harmful. When participating patients successfully complete the 30-day quit smoking challenge, each will receive an awesome commemorative T-shirt designed to remind them of their amazing accomplishment and to help inspire others to do the same.
Contact us today to learn more about our addiction recovery options and how we can help you embark on a healthy new lifestyle. Call (888) 781-9297 now.