There is a wide range of group therapies that promote healing in addiction recovery. At Banyan Treatment Centers Chicago, we understand how beneficial psychoeducational groups can be to those who are receiving drug or alcohol addiction treatment. As one of the best drug treatment centers in Illinois, we incorporate only the safest and most effective therapies and programming in our substance abuse treatments.
What Is Psychoeducational Group Therapy?
This kind of therapy is a subset or branch of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) that is held in a group setting to promote healing and build community amongst patients. During psychoeducational group therapy activities, patients will sit with their peers and share any of their struggles or achievements. This therapy approach promotes emotional healing by giving patients a safe and judgment-free space where they can express their joys and concerns regarding their recovery.
Psychoeducational groups also promote peer support, education regarding substance abuse, and help to strengthen the sense of community among people in recovery. Members of psychoeducational groups often have different struggles or achievements. Each person’s experience with addiction and recovery is different. Offering a place and time where patients can be open about their sobriety is important. Each psychoeducational group offered at our drug rehab in Chicago is personalized to meet the needs of each group member.
During these sessions, patients will educationally explore a variety of topics that are involved in the realm of addiction and mental health, such as:
- Relationship building, or working to maintain and develop relationships for a positive outcome.
- Common triggers, which can inform a person of what to look out for in the real world and avoid potential relapse.
- Addiction types, which can influence how a person is treated as well as what will best serve them in recovery.
- Depression, anxiety, trauma, and how these experiences can influence a substance use disorder.
- The role of medications throughout treatment and in everyday life.
- Different resources that can be useful throughout sobriety, including anger management, nutrition, spiritual development, and other relaxation techniques.
Psychoeducational group therapy activities include discussion, educational resources, videos, and more. Our therapists and addiction treatment professionals work together with patients to find a form of therapy that’s best for them.
Psychoeducational Groups for Co-Occurring Disorders
For patients that are a part of our dual diagnosis rehab program, these group settings will be focused on educating participants about the phenomenon of having multiple diagnoses, as well as the unique facets that are associated with the specific disorders in question. This can serve to decrease the likelihood of relapse later down the line. For example, someone that struggles with more depressive symptoms will have the opportunity to identify how different sensations of a disorder can affect the other.
Other common examples of co-occurring disorders with addiction include:
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders
Because people do not always realize that they have co-occurring disorders, these educational groups seek to connect the dots that many addicted individuals find themselves falling victim to. It is especially easy to be part of a toxic cycle when we are not educated on the many ramifications it will lead to. The saying “knowledge is power” is a great indicator of how psychoeducational group counseling in Chicago can enrich and motivate a patient to practice agency and empowerment.
Benefits of Psychoeducational Group Therapy
The intimacy of one-on-one therapies for addiction can be nerve-wracking for someone who’s just begun addiction treatment. However, the coping strategies developed in the early stages of recovery can set the tone for the person’s sobriety in the future. Psychoeducational group therapy helps patients easily transition between levels of treatment and become comfortable in both individual and group settings. These groups make patients feel safe and comfortable by bringing them together with other individuals who are in similar situations.
At Banyan Treatment Centers Chicago, we’ve helped numerous patients with our addiction therapies. There are numerous benefits of psychoeducational group therapy:
- Encourages peer support by bringing together like-minded people who have had similar experiences.
- Offers addiction education and resources to help patients better understand their disorders, especially for those that are not familiar with the many facets of their disease.
- It can help people learn how to identify potential roadblocks to recovery and can provide a deeper understanding of the treatment process.
- Promotes a sense of community among all patients, preventing isolation or feelings of loneliness. This is particularly important because being stuck with one’s own thoughts can perpetuate toxic cycles of negative thoughts and potential relapse.
- Acts as a safe time and place where patients can be honest about their emotions. It is not uncommon for someone to feel uncertain about sharing their perspective, especially if they come from a situation that made them feel ignored or discredited. Psychoeducational groups seek to break this phenomenon and not only help patients express how they feel but comprehensively improve communication skills in general.
- Allows patients to learn from others and gain a wider perspective regarding addiction recovery.
When utilized alongside our Illinois addiction treatment programs, psychoeducational group therapy can help patients identify the source of their addictions and develop effective relapse prevention strategies that they can apply moving forward.
The Banyan Chicago Difference
Our Chicago addiction treatment center offers psychoeducational groups as part of our programming for drug addiction and alcoholism. Additional therapies offered at our facility include biofeedback, dialectical behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, and more. Each of our therapies and rehab programs is designed to help patients not only achieve long-term sobriety but learn how to effectively maintain it as well.
Recovering from the physical and psychological aspects of addiction can be challenging without the proper help or guidance. We not only seek to treat patients as they process their situation but empower them with the knowledge and resources that they need to comprehensively understand what they are experiencing.
The road to recovery is not always an easy one, but it can also be one of the most transformative experiences of a person’s entire life. It can be hard to imagine this when in the middle of an active addiction, but often accepting that a problem is present is one of the most important steps to overcoming it. All it takes is a phone call to begin down the path toward a better life.
To learn more about the rehab programs and options for group therapy in Chicago, contact the team at Banyan Treatment Centers today!
Related Reading :
Psychoeducational Groups: Best Therapy Activities
Other Treatment Options
Most Insurance Plans Accepted
At Banyan Chicago our goal is to make sure that anyone who needs treatment from drug and alcohol addiction are able to get the help needed to assist them on the road to recovery. If you don't have insurance contact us to inquire about alternate methods regarding treatment for yourself or a loved one.