Made famous by Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), the 12 Steps Program was originally a program used for alcoholism treatment to help recovering alcoholics move through the various stages of recovery to lasting sobriety. Our 12-step program in Chicago believes that only after participants progress through all these steps are they able to find lasting sobriety. Traditionally, the 12 Steps program follows a spiritual undertone and includes submission to a higher power and making amends with those that were hurt because of your addiction. Because of its success for many, the 12 Steps of recovery from addiction rose in popularity, and the basic outline of the program has been expanded to treat other substance use disorders aside from alcoholism, such as gambling and drug abuse, the latter of which is known as Narcotics Anonymous or NA. Keep reading below it find out how our Banyan rehab in Naperville, IL utilizes this program to help individuals in their recovery journeys.
12 Steps Program Definition
At our Chicago addiction treatment center, we utilize our own modified version of the 12 Step AA and NA program during treatment to help our patients progress through recovery. Especially for those people looking for a spiritual component of addiction recovery, our NA and al-anon 12 steps can be powerful and life-changing.
Here are the 12 steps explained:1
- I admitted I was powerless over alcohol [or drugs] and that my life had become unmanageable.
- I came to believe that a Power greater than myself could restore me to sanity.
- I decided to turn my will and my life over to the care of God as I understood Him.
- I made a searching and fearless moral inventory of myself.
- I admitted to God, myself, and to another human being the exact nature of my wrongs.
- I was entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- I humbly asked Him to remove my shortcomings.
- I made a list of all persons I had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
- I made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- I continued to take personal inventory and, when I was wrong, promptly admitted it.
- I sought through prayer and meditation to improve my conscious contact with God as I understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for me and the power to carry that out.
- I had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps. I tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
In the twelve steps of NA and AA, peers gather to discuss their struggles with substance abuse as well as how they are progressing through their recovery journeys.
12 step programs offer many benefits, including regular group meetings to help build a community of peer support that can give clients strength and hope in the initial stages of addiction recovery. Because everyone recovers at their own pace, the various 12 steps and 12 traditions of this program offer guidance for individuals in varying stages of recovering, acting as a flexible yet effective treatment method.
Along with creating a community of support, our Chicago 12-step program also helps clients learn valuable life lessons that can propel their recovery journey forward and be applied to life outside of our PHP and IOP. Clients will come to recognize their wrongdoings and take accountability for their actions.
They will also learn how to repent for mistakes they made in active addiction and make amends with those who were hurt along the way. Most importantly, participants will come to understand that a Power greater than themselves could be what guides them to lasting sobriety.
Because not everyone may be comfortable with the spiritual component of our 12-step principles, clients are encouraged to attend meetings but are not required
Our Chicago 12 Step Meetings
At our rehab center in Chicago, we believe that recovery from any substance use disorder requires comprehensive healing. While addiction, by definition, is a chemical dependency problem, it also bleeds into other areas of a person’s life and can create several secondary problems for the addict.
The twelve steps and twelve traditions are an important part of addiction recovery for many, but a full and lasting recovery requires more. To help our patients heal from all aspects of addiction and achieve lifelong sobriety, we offer several addiction therapy programs in Chicago.
These programs include:
- Corporate Recovery Program
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Art Therapy
- & More
Additionally, the NA and al-anon 12 steps may be incorporated into various levels of addiction treatment, such as our IOP, PHP, and outpatient programs. This wide scope of care exposes clients to numerous ways to approach their journeys to sobriety as well as different coping techniques for life in recovery. Patients work in both group and individual settings to allow for self-discovery as well as peer support.
Our Chicago 12 Step AA and NA program is only one of the many treatment options we offer. Let Banyan Treatment Centers Chicago help you or your loved ones move past addiction and find a happier and healthier life.
- AA – The Twelve Steps
Other Treatment Options
Most Insurance Plans Accepted
At Banyan Chicago our goal is to make sure that anyone who needs treatment from drug and alcohol addiction are able to get the help needed to assist them on the road to recovery. If you don't have insurance contact us to inquire about alternate methods regarding treatment for yourself or a loved one.