Also known as telepsychiatry, telebehavioral health, and telemental health, telehealth for mental health disorders refers to the use of the internet and technology for administering healthcare. Healthcare providers who offer telehealth use video chatting platforms, online chats, and phone calls to connect with their patients remotely. In addition to inpatient mental health services, our Banyan Treatment Center locations also offer IOP mental health in our telehealth program to serve patients wherever they are.
What Is IOP In Mental Health?
Intensive outpatient programs (IOPs) offer numerous benefits to patients who need behavioral healthcare but do not require residential treatment or medical stabilization services. For IOPs that are offered at the rehab facility, patients are able to attend sessions at the facility during the day and go home to their families at night. A step down from residential care, IOPs are designed to help patients adjust to their everyday lives after rehab.
A mental health IOP addresses disorders like depression, anxiety disorders, emotional problems, substance use disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and others. This form of care also helps individuals who struggle with an inability to carry out daily tasks, have illustrated a decrease in their ability to function, and have displayed challenges in interacting with loved ones.
Benefits of an IOP for mental health include:
- Flexibility for clients and facilities: One of the most essential benefits of any IOP is the flexibility in scheduling offered to both clients and the facility. This is the nature of an intensive outpatient mental health program, allowing clients to continue their regular, daily lives while receiving a level of care higher than traditional outpatient programs.
- Increased sense of accountability and responsibility in clients: Another benefit of an IOP for mental health is that clients can engage in greater personal responsibilities. Though residential treatment requires clients to put their personal responsibilities on hold and live at the facility, IOPs provide a greater sense of balance between treatment and life at home.
- Greater opportunity to practice skills learned in treatment: Unlike inpatient treatment programs or in-house treatment programs, IOPS allow clients to actively apply what they learned during residential care outside of rehab.
- Privacy: Our telehealth IOP for mental health also offers more privacy for patients, as they’re able to work individually with therapists from the comfort of their homes. This can be especially helpful for patients who aren’t comfortable in group settings.
- Exposure to local support networks: IOPs also offer several support networks to assist clients in their recovery. These types of outpatient programs offer clients access to individual and group counseling sessions as well as support groups and mentors to motivate and empower them throughout recovery.
These benefits are all applicable to our telehealth mental health IOP, which is one of several telehealth programs offered at Banyan rehab locations.
Our Telehealth IOP For Mental Health
Since patients in our telehealth intensive outpatient program can remain at home while receiving counseling, they’re encouraged when they are outside of treatment to lean into their relationships with friends and family (who are supportive of their sobriety, of course.) They’re also encouraged to build their support systems so that once they complete our IOP mental health treatment, they’ll feel more confident in their relationships and ability to sustain abstinence from drugs and alcohol long-term.
Our virtual IOP mental health care offers a variety of services to patients, including:
- Group therapy sessions
- Individual therapy sessions that encourage the development of interpersonal, coping, and relaxation skills
- Management of symptoms, such as drug and/or alcohol cravings
- Management of “cross addiction” or other potentially addictive behaviors that the individual could use to cope with recovery
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) which emphasizes the importance of understanding our thoughts in relation to our behavior
- Relapse management
- & More
The goal of an in-house intensive outpatient program is designed to help clients transition into a normal routine from rehab with a flexible schedule. However, the telehealth version of this program offers patients even more freedom and privacy, allowing them to receive care from the comfort of their homes. With our online mental health services, such as in our IOP, patients can work with therapists in a safe, private space where they can be open and transparent about their struggles and truly grow in their recovery.