While addiction doesn’t discriminate, young teens and adults are especially susceptible to experimenting with different substances and many parents want to know how to keep their kids safe.
As a substance abuse treatment center in Pompano, we know that identifying drug paraphernalia can help you realize drug abuse in a loved one and get them help. If you suspect that your child or loved one is struggling with addiction, being able to recognize drug paraphernalia is important.
What Is Drug Paraphernalia?
Drug paraphernalia refers to the equipment or tools that are used to ingest drugs. These also include any tools that have a direct impact on the way an individual uses drugs. Drug paraphernalia also includes any tools or equipment used to manufacture and distribute these drugs as well. When it comes to more simple forms of drug equipment, they can also include common household items like spoons. Drug paraphernalia is one of the most common warning signs of addiction, so knowing which tools are used for what can save a life.
How to Identify Drug Paraphernalia by Substance
So, what is considered drug paraphernalia? Drug paraphernalia varies depending on the substance. What a person may use to ingest heroin may be different from what’s used to ingest cannabis. Below is a list of drug paraphernalia categorized by drug.
Marijuana is made up of dried leaves from plants like cannabis Sativa and cannabis Indica. These leaves can be ingested in a variety of ways. They can be smoked, eaten, and even brewed in teas. Some of the most common marijuana paraphernalia include:
- Rolling papers, a specialty paper used to roll up the leaves to make a joint
- Cigars that are filled with marijuana
- Pipes used to smoke marijuana
- Bongs that act as a filtration system for smoking weed
- Roaches or roach clips, which are metal holders for weed cigarettes
- Vape pens, or pens that use small concentrations of cannabis called dabs
Heroin is a highly addictive and potent illegal opioid that is most often injected. The most common types of heroin paraphernalia include:
- Needles or syringes
- Burnt spoons
- Plastic pen casings
- Cut up straws
- Pipes, usually made of metal, glass, wood, etc.
Heroin is one of the most commonly abused and dangerous substances on the market. A person can develop an addiction with a few uses alone. If you or someone you know has become dependent on heroin, Banyan Treatment Centers Pompano offers safe and effective heroin treatment.
Cocaine is a highly addictive and illegal stimulant that directly affects the central nervous system. Also referred to as crack cocaine, it’s often smoked, ingested intravenously, or snorted through the nose. Some common examples of cocaine paraphernalia include:
- Small flat surfaces, such as small mirrors, which are used to cut up the cocaine
- Razor blades for cutting up the cocaine
- Short drinking straws
- Rolled up paper, used to snort lines of cocaine
Crack cocaine is a horrible drug that can hook people within the first few uses. A person who fails to receive cocaine treatment for this type of addiction is at risk of suffering from cardiovascular disease and overdose.
Also known as MDMA or molly, ecstasy is a psychoactive drug that is often used for recreational purposes. It can come in both a pill and powder form and can be swallowed or snorted. While it became popular in the nightclub scene as well as raves, it’s now become more common among people who want to use it outside of parties. It’s infamous for causing an altered perception of time and reality, increasing the person’s energy, and intensifying their experience on the dance floor. Common ecstasy paraphernalia includes:
- Glow sticks
- Dust mask, users rub menthol on the inside of the mask to enhance their side effects
- Pacifiers or lollipops to prevent the person from grinding their teeth
- Bags of candy to hide colorful molly pills
- Mentholated rub, increases the person’s ability to breathe and enhances side effects
- Resealable baggies
- White residue on tabletops or flat surfaces
- Rolled-up dollar bills or cut up straws
Identifying drug paraphernalia can be the barrier between life and death. If you suspect that your loved one is battling an addiction, call Banyan Pompano today at 888-280-4763 to learn more about our rehab center in Florida and the levels of care we offer.