Addiction does not happen in an echo chamber. Often, it is the culmination of mental illness or trauma in addition to social and internal factors that result in a substance use disorder. To properly heal, these occurrences must be addressed and processed. Otherwise, an individual may be more likely to repeat the cycle and relapse in the presence of a trigger. This is why Banyan Treatment Center Boca Raton, FL, is proud to offer co-occurring disorder treatment that helps people regain control of their lives from addiction and mental illness.
What Is a Co-Occurring Disorder?
The phrase co-occurring disorder refers to the simultaneous occurrence of a substance use disorder and mental illness. The exact sequence of these struggles can differ from person to person. For instance, some people may struggle with symptoms of a particular mental health disorder and turn to drugs or alcohol to self-medicate. On the other hand, certain individuals may develop a mental illness after prolonged substance abuse. No matter the case, it is crucial that those receiving treatment have their conditions comprehensively addressed to make as substantial a recovery as possible.
Common Co-Occurring Disorders
While any kind of mental illness can co-occur with addiction, some examples are more prevalent than others.
Common examples include:
- Anxiety Disorders: Anxiety is not an easy thing to live with. People commonly abuse prescription drugs like Xanax or illicit substances to manage and enhance sociability and cope with stress.
- Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): Typically diagnosed in children and young adults, an inability to focus on tasks can be an increasingly difficult problem during someone’s developmental years. This commonly leads people to abuse prescription drugs, many of which are stimulants, to suppress their symptoms.
- Bipolar Disorder: A chemical imbalance in the brain will lead sufferers to experience prolonged episodes of mania and depression, both of which can be destructive. Many of these individuals elect to self-medicate with drugs or alcohol as they try to reduce the intensity of these episodes. Sadly, this often results in even more symptoms and addiction.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): After living through a traumatic or life-threatening event, it is common for symptoms to be so severe or distressing that being under the influence seems like the best option. Sadly, this only further perpetuates the harmful cycle if not properly addressed.
- Personality Disorders: Examples like OCD and borderline personality disorder can make it hard to maintain relationships. Whether it is impulsive behaviors, or a lack of emotional regulation, drugs and alcohol are common crutches used by these individuals to cope with either their symptoms or feelings of isolation.
- Schizophrenia: This severe condition can lead to troubling hallucinations, delusions, and psychosis, making sufferers unable to distinguish reality from fantasy. These experiences can be very troubling, leading people who struggle to abuse drugs or alcohol to cope.
At our Palm Beach rehab, we treat a variety of mental health conditions and can provide you with the proper resources to help you address any addictive tendencies as well.
Banyan Boca’s Dual Diagnosis Rehab Program
Treatment is crucial for people during active addiction and mental illness. Luckily, Our Boca behavioral health facility is committed to providing ample support to those that need it most. Patients will have the opportunity to utilize individual and group therapy sessions, making sure everyone can make the most of their recovery experience.
Other unique therapies offered include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Equine-Assisted Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- & More
Each patient that walks through our doors will be comprehensively evaluated by some of the best mental health professionals in the business, after which personalized treatment plans can be developed.
If you or a loved one is struggling with a dual diagnosis, remember that you do not have to face it alone. Contact Banyan Boca Raton to learn more about our options for co-occurring disorder treatment today.