It can also produce both auditory and visual hallucinations. During an “acid” trip or LSD high, users have reported experiencing any number of stimuli, including vivid colors and shapes, visual apparitions, and more. Although it can be extremely dangerous, is it possible to overdose on LSD? Our drug rehab in Boston believes so, and we’re sharing why.
Yes, you can overdose on acid. However, the term “overdose” means something slightly different when discussing whether you can overdose on acid. Many people associate drug overdoses with immediate death, but this doesn’t always happen. A drug overdose is greatly defined by its symptoms. For instance, most people who overdose on opioids experience respiratory depression. Opioid-related overdose deaths are usually the result of severe and untreated symptoms. With that being said, not only can you overdose on LSD, but you can also die from it if symptoms are severe enough.
However, an acid overdose is also called a “bad trip.” A bad trip is characterized by a combination of physical, psychological, and emotional symptoms that can be debilitating, uncomfortable, and dangerous to users. LSD is one of the most controversial drugs in the world, and research on its mechanism of action and side effects is more scarce than research on drugs like opioids or benzos. This lack of research means that the symptoms of LSD overdose are still being studied and are unpredictable, making this drug all the more dangerous to use.
LSD is taken recreationally by placing LSD-soaked paper in the mouth. LSD is usually taken in micrograms (1,000 micrograms equates to 1 milligram). Although this is significantly lower in dosage compared to other drugs of abuse, it’s still just as potent and dangerous. The standard dose of LSD is believed to be anywhere between 10 and 500 micrograms. This number fluctuates depending on the person’s tolerance to the drug. LSD can create tolerance, meaning a person who uses LSD more often will slowly have to increase the dose they take to experience the same high or trip. It takes more than 1,000 micrograms of LSD to overdose, sometimes less, depending on the user’s physical tolerance to the drug. If you’ve developed a tolerance to acid, you’re more likely to experience an overdose from taking higher doses. To safely flush out your system and prevent overdose, get the help of detox treatment.
The real danger of LSD abuse is in the person’s actions while on the drug. While an acid overdose is less likely to kill someone, the drug’s side effects can be deadly. Acid highs create dissociative behavior, which produces symptoms like disconnection and lack of continuity between thoughts, memories, surroundings, actions, and identity. Because they are unaware of themselves, these individuals have been known to subject themselves to dangerous situations without even realizing it. As a result, LSD-related deaths are mostly due to the person’s behavior while high versus LSD overdose signs and symptoms.
One study found that long-term administrations of Gabapentin alone did not cause memory loss or memory impairment. Patients can, howKnowing the LSD signs of overdose can help you prevent a dangerous and deadly outcome. Especially if you know someone who uses acid regularly, it’s important to be able to recognize these signs.
Acid trip symptoms can begin within a few hours after use. LSD side effects can range from mild to highly uncomfortable and even scary. Because this drug produces a lot of hallucinations, users often experience anxiety when high.
Bad acid trip symptoms include:
Acid trips can go from bad to worse within minutes. While most LSD overdose symptoms go away after 24 hours, some can become permanent. Psychosis can become a permanent symptom of using LSD, especially in individuals with mental disorders or a family history of mental illness. However, even individuals without such a predisposition can be similarly affected as well.
Though death by acid overdose is rare, this drug is still deadly. Although uncommon, a person can die from the symptoms of an LSD overdose. The higher the dosage taken, the more likely the individual will experience adverse physical and mental reactions. Even at typical doses, the psychedelic effects of LSD can lead to permanent brain damage and mental illness.
Every acid trip results in varying degrees of impaired judgment, dissociative behavior, and loss of inhibitions. Knowing the difference between right and wrong and recognizing consequence or danger in this state is nonexistent. The most dangerous aspect of LSD use is the individual’s potential and likelihood of injuring themselves.
If you realize that someone is overdosing on LSD, call 9-1-1 immediately. In the meantime, try your best to calm the person. Long-term LSD use can result in permanent brain damage, mental illness, and a variety of other issues. Any form of substance abuse can threaten the condition of a person’s relationships, health, and career. Drugs like acid can also open the doorway to other substances of abuse, some of which may be even more harmful.