You just got your dream job, but the one catch is that you have to pass a drug test before you are cleared.
Whether you are a frequent drug user, or you don’t do drugs but have concerns about a false positive, you may be worried about the accuracy of the drug test. As providers of various treatment plans like intensive outpatient programs in Broward, we are sharing the truth about drug tests and debunking some common drug test myths.
Drug Test Facts and Myths
1. Poppy seeds make you fail a drug test.TRUE: Elaine’s poppy seed muffins from Seinfeld made this drug test myth popular. While poppy seeds are derived from the opium plant just like morphine, oxycodone, and heroin, they don’t actually contain morphine so you cannot use them to produce a high. The seeds can however become coated by or absorb opium extract while being harvested. If the seeds have not been cleaned properly during processing, it is possible that ingesting them can produce a false positive. The chance of this occurring is rare, but it is possible. If you want to avoid the possibility of receiving a false positive on a drug test, avoid eating poppy seeds for a few days before your scheduled test. If you are someone that is required to get tested regularly, avoid poppy seeds all together. If someone tests positive for opiates and you suspect they do not eat poppy seed foods, they may be in need of opioid abuse treatment.
2. Drinking a lot of juice or water will dilute urine for a drug test and help you pass.FALSE: This is another common drug test myth. Many people will chug water in the hope that they can flush out their system and a urine test will not pick up on any illegal substances. While the substances may be harder to find, they are typically still present. Even if you do happen to drink enough water to rid your body of the substances completely, your pee will show signs of excess liquid intake with increased creatinine levels and you will likely be asked to take the test again.
3. Fake urine can be used to pass a drug test.FALSE: Many people try to sell fake or synthetic urine for people who need to pass a drug test. The problem with this method is that fake pee can have different chemicals in it than other normal pee that the testers will pick up on. It is likely that you will be caught and asked to test again.
4. Secondhand smoke can cause you to fail a drug test.FALSE: Secondhand smoke can be a major concern for people who are around other people who smoke frequently. While you may be breathing in the surrounding smoke, it is unlikely that you would inhale enough to trigger a positive drug test. Unless you are taking a hit yourself or hotboxing and trying to get high, you should be safe.
5. Urine drug tests are the only type of drug test.FALSE: This is another common drug test myth. While urine drug screens are typically the most common way to test someone for the presence of drugs, it is not the only way to do so. Other methods of drug screening include testing hair, saliva, breath (alcohol), and blood.
6. There are many ways to pass a drug test.FALSE: The truth about drug tests is that they are incredibly difficult to pass if you have these substances in your body. How long a drug stays in your system is dependent on many factors including the type of drug, the amount, as well as your individual body, and often there is little you can do about it. Doctors and those administering urine drug tests are often privy to these attempts to beat the test and know what to look for. Other forms of drug testing such as the use of hair follicles and blood can be even more accurate than urine tests.
If you are looking to pass a drug test on false pretenses, it may be time to admit that you have a drug problem. At our drug rehab in Broward County, we can help you move past your drug and alcohol addictions so that you never have to worry about trying to figure out how to pass a drug test again.