We have all had those nights where we toss and turn but cannot get a wink of sleep. People have also often turned to sleeping pills to minimize the frequency of these sleepless nights.
While these pills can seem like a harmless sleep aid, they may not be as innocent as they seem. This habit can take a turn for the worst if it develops into a full-blown sleeping pill addiction.
Signs of Sleeping Pill Addiction
All too quickly, people can become dependent on sleeping pills and end up taking them every night. Drawing the line between innocuously taking sleeping pills and developing a serious problem can be difficult so our drug rehab in Chicago is here to help.
- One of the first signs of a sleeping pill addiction is when you have trouble sleeping without taking the pills. Of course, you may use the excuse that you take sleeping pills for that reason, but when this becomes a common occurrence, you may be addicted.
- You crave these pills and struggle to go a night without taking one. Drug cravings are your body’s way of telling you that you are becoming dependent on the drug.
- When you start to develop memory problems or mental impairments, this is a serious sign of a sleeping pill addiction. One of the negative consequences of sleeping pill abuse is frequent memory loss. If you begin to notice these issues, you have a problem.
- When you have to go to more than one doctor to get sleeping pills, you should be able to recognize that you may be addicted to sleeping pills. Going to more than one doctor means that you are probably taking a much higher dose than is recommended and you are more likely to become dependent on the drug.
- Using sleeping pills for reasons other than to sleep. If you take sleeping pills to only force yourself to stay awake to try and experience euphoric effects, you are abusing these drugs. Also, if you take these pills because you are feeling depressed or start to become withdrawn, you should get help immediately. Our dual diagnosis treatment in Chicago will help you combat your poor mental health along with your addiction.
- With long-term abuse, you may also start to experience side effects like slurred speech, lightheadedness, constant drowsiness, and poor coordination or movement.
- If you start mixing sleeping pills with other drugs like alcohol, this is a serious red flag. Combining drugs can be detrimental to your health. A drug and alcohol treatment center like ours should be able to help you address both of these addictions.
Sleeping pills may seem harmless, but they can still be addictive and cause serious side effects long-term. Without proper prescription pill or benzo addiction treatment, this bad habit has the potential to spiral out of control.
At Banyan Chicago, we want to help you or your loved one with an addiction. Do not wait to get better. Call us today at 888-280-4763 to get more information about our addiction programs and to get started.