As if being a parent isn’t already hard enough with cyberbullying, social media dangers, and catfishing, the internet has created a new danger that we want you to be aware of.
Can You Buy Drugs Online?
Unfortunately, the answer is yes. A new internet trend involves buying drugs online and your internet-savvy child could be taking advantage of this new gateway.
Nicknamed “Darknet” for its illegal use, mail-order drugs are a new reality. According to the Global Drug Survey of 2018, 18.1% of abused illicit or prescription drugs last year were purchased using the Darknet and 30% of cocaine users said they could get the drug delivered in less than 30 minutes.1<. With the internet only continuing to grow, the Darknet will probably show no signs of slowing down, and your child could be one of many people buying drugs on the internet.
Is Your Young Adult or Teen Buying Drugs Online?
As providers of drug and alcohol treatment in Philadelphia, we want you to know not only how to tell if your child is on drugs but also what signs to look out for if you suspect your young adult or teen buys drugs on the internet. Some signs that your child is buying drugs online include:
- Secretive online behavior like hiding the computer screen or deleting browsing history
- Lying or being deceitful about their behavior
- Receiving packages on a regular basis or going “out” and coming back with packages on a regular basis
- Increased spending habits or missing money
- Increased time spent online or alone in their room
- Locking their bedroom door on a regular basis
- General signs of drug abuse like mood swings and changes in behavior
What to Do if You Suspect Your Child Is Buying Drugs Online
It is important that you pay attention to your child’s behavior so that you can determine if something is wrong. If you think your young adult or teenager is buying drugs online, you can:
- Investigate. Check their browsing history and monitor their packages. If they are weirdly secretive, it could be because of drug abuse.
- Make sure they know that you are here for them to talk, and ask them about their life. The closer you are with your child, the easier it is to notice changes from drug abuse.
- Get them professional help. If you strongly suspect that your child is buying drugs online, you should not be ashamed or feel guilty for your child’s mistakes; you should get them help immediately.
Whether you are looking for opiate or cocaine addiction treatment in Philadelphia, our staff will guide both you and your child through the recovery process. If your child is on drugs, you can be feeling overwhelmed and scared for their future. With our various treatment programs such as our Philly PHP treatment, your young adult will be placed in the setting they need to overcome their drug addiction safely and without judgment.
At Banyan Philadelphia, we help adults both old and young get their lives back on track after being derailed by drugs or alcohol. Your child can get the help they need to overcome their drug addiction. Help them move forward with their life.
To learn more about our rehab centers and treatment options, call us today at 888-280-4763.
- Global Drug Abuse – Key Findings Report 2018