Relapse Prevention Tips
Relapse prevention programs are designed to help recovering addicts work through challenging situations when temptations are present. It’s important to understand that recovering from addiction is a life-long practice. The recovery process takes tools and skills learned through treatment to maintain sobriety and a healthy lifestyle. Banyan Treatment Centers shares the best tips for relapse prevention for those in recovery.
Preventing Relapse after Drug and Alcohol Treatment
- Focus on your progress thus far and always set goals for yourself.
- Stay positive and understand that the decision you made to go through drug or alcohol addiction treatment has completely changed your life for the better.
- Be mindful and aware of what your triggers are. Don’t put yourself in situations that you know will bring about the urge to use again.
- Stay busy and fill your time with positive hobbies and activities. Too much down time can cause recovering addicts to go back to their old ways.
- Surround yourself with supportive people who respect your sobriety and are there for you when times get tough. These people may include a sponsor and other sober friends in recovery.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Continue your aftercare plans.