Countless people across the country are using prescription pills for anxiety. While for some people, the pills help them function better and overall improve their quality of life, some people get addicted. And a prescription pill addiction is far worse than never taking pills in the first place. The truth is that there are many alternatives to taking anxiety pills. Even if you go through addiction treatment, you will still have to deal with the anxiety that likely contributed to the substance abuse in question. If you are concerned about the process of getting off prescription drugs, Banyan Treatment Centers Pompano is here to offer some alternatives to managing anxiety that do not rely on pharmaceuticals.
Can Stopping Medication Cause Anxiety?
Yes, stopping their medication might cause anxiety in some people. Many medicines, especially those that are given to treat medical diseases, including depression and anxiety, as well as mental health problems, can result in dependence or withdrawal symptoms if stopped suddenly. For instance, over time, some antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, and sleep aids may alter the chemistry of the brain. The brain may have trouble adjusting when these medications are abruptly removed, which can increase anxiety, cause mood swings, and cause discomfort. Often referred to as “medication withdrawal syndrome,” the type of drug, how long it was taken, and the person’s unique physiology can all affect how severe this phenomenon is.
When considering stopping any drug, people must consult extensively with their healthcare practitioners. Medical specialists can create a tapering strategy to progressively reduce the dosage over time, lowering the likelihood of anxiety and withdrawal symptoms. A simpler transition off medication while preserving mental and emotional well-being can be achieved with their help. They can also offer alternative treatment options or therapies to tackle any underlying issues contributing to anxiety.
What Helps With Anxiety Medication Withdrawal Symptoms?
When getting off prescription drugs, it is crucial to look for a holistic approach to anxiety and enhance general well-being when dealing with withdrawal symptoms from an anxiety medication. People used natural methods to treat anxiety before there were contemporary medications available, and we have compiled a short collection of the most popular and effective options.
Some natural herbs for anxiety management include:
- Chamomile: The calming side effects of chamomile are well-known. It has substances that interact with brain receptors to ease anxiety and encourage relaxation. Anxiety symptoms may be soothed and effectively treated with a warm cup of chamomile tea. It is easily accessible at most grocery stores and provides a soothing method for calming your nerves and enhancing your mood.
- Lemon balm: For millennia, people have utilized lemon balm to reduce tension and anxiety. When drunk in moderation, it has ingredients that can help lower anxiety levels. Lemon balm has a lovely, zesty flavor that makes it fun to consume as tea or an infusion, in addition to being highly effective.
- Valerian root: A versatile herbal treatment, valerian root can be used to promote sleep and reduce anxiety. When combined with chamomile and lemon balm, which both have milder, more agreeable tastes, it becomes more tolerable. The use of valerian root helps ease anxiety-related symptoms and encourages calm.
- Hops: Hops, which are primarily used to make beer, may also be able to reduce anxiety naturally. They can be blended with sweeter herbs, like chamomile, to produce a calming mixture that promotes relaxation and may even help you fall asleep. Hops have a distinctive, slightly bitter flavor that can give herbal infusions more depth.
- Passionflower: Passionflower is renowned for having soothing and calming properties. By encouraging relaxation and lowering nervousness, it can aid in the relief of anxiety symptoms. Passionflower is a flexible and affordable alternative for reducing anxiety because it may be ingested as a tea or as a supplement.
- Lavender: Lavender has anxiety-relieving effects, in addition to being well known for its lovely scent. A pleasant and calming option for natural anxiety management, lavender essential oils can be added to a diffuser, or you can make lavender tea to help soothe your muscles and promote relaxation.
While these herbal therapies can help control anxiety, it is important to remember that each person will respond to them differently. It is crucial to see a healthcare professional before relying solely on herbal infusions, especially if you have a history of severe anxiety or are currently taking medication. Adopting new lifestyle habits like regular exercise, a good diet, mindfulness exercises, and therapy can help manage anxiety holistically in addition to these natural treatments.
There’s More than One Way Out of Anxiety
If natural remedies do not suffice, a person struggling with anxiety may do well to seek out professional support. Luckily, the dual diagnosis treatment at our Pompano Beach rehab center is always available to help you get back on your feet and overcome your addiction. With a variety of effective therapy programs at our disposal, our Pompano rehab works with patients to give them a better understanding of the things they struggle with and how to properly handle them.
pills? Thousands of people across the country are using prescription pills for anxiety. While for some people the pills help them function better and overall improve their quality of life, some people get addicted. And a prescription pill addiction is far worse than never taking pills in the first place. The truth is that there are many alternatives to taking anxiety pills. Even if you go through addiction treatment, you’ll still have to deal with your anxiety problem on top of all that. Here’s some more info on what it’s like to get into a helpful rehab community.
No More Pills: Great Anxiety Home Remedies
What are some alternatives to help me treat anxiety with? Prescription pills have only been around for 150 or 200 years, but people have always been dealing with anxiety. So what did people do before modern medicine? Here’s a few herbal infusions you can drink to help treat your anxiety without pills:
- Chamomile. Even your local grocery store will have a good array of herbal infusions for you to try. Chamomile is especially effective against anxiety. A nice hot cup will calm your nerves and help you settle down into a better mental state.
- Lemon Balm. Used for hundreds of years to treat anxiety, Lemon Balm in small doses can really cut the edge off things. And it’s delicious too!
- Valerian Root. Valerian can be used both as a sleep aid and as an anxiety relaxer. It’s less tasty than chamomile and lemon balm, so you might want to mix it with those other ones. But sometimes a brisk, rough taste can make things feel healthier.
- Hops. It’s not only in beer! You can throw these bitter flowers in with sweeter herbs like chamomile to make a terrific concoction that’ll have you relaxed enough to fall asleep. For more natural anxiety remedies, click here!
There’s More than One Way Out of Anxiety
What do I do if it’s too late and I’m already addicted to anxiety meds? Luckily our dual diagnosis treatment is always available to help you get back on your feet and overcome your addition. Don’t become just another statistic of people who abuse prescription drugs trying to relieve anxiety and end up with a deadly addiction. At Banyan Pompano, we want to help. Reach out to us about our prescription pill addiction treatment in Florida.